Attached is the slide deck and the refreshMP script that I referenced during the OSD presentation at the October MNSCUG meeting. This script should be copied the device early in the task sequence and then run after every reboot via run command line and a static path to the vbs file. This will help avoid problems where the device can't contact the MP/DP after a reboot. Be aware, an application/package installation that returns a 3010 will reboot the task sequence unless you define it not to in the package/application itself. Know were your reboots are happening so you can run this script after each reboot.
Rumor has it if the configuration manager client has the CU2 update installed this reboot issue is a non issue. Give it a shot and let me know.
Take aways from the presentation -
- Know your application exit codes
- Be prepared to break down the app model if it has reboots
- Application Model works fine with OSD.
- Configure appropriate task sequence variables for your environment.
- Make sure your problems are not external to ConfigMgr. Networking issues perhaps?
- Get statistical significance with your builds. 1 successful build is useless. 10 in a row is a good start.
Here are good references for building your OSD Task Sequence -
I can be reached @FredBainbridge. Thanks!